When I left my job in July to go to graduate school I set aside the month of July to pack in as many Colorado adventures as possible – not knowing if I’d ever be back with enough time to enjoy the countless wonders Colorado has to offer. I came up with 17 must-do items for my Colorado bucket list, and – with one day left – I have accomplished 10 of the things I set out to do. True, I didn’t get to all of them, but this just means that I will be busy when I come back to visit.
Here’s where I stand…
Checked off the list:
- Watch Rockies game from the Rockpile.
- Climb Little Matterhorn in Rocky Mountain National Park with Dan.
- Eat Pueblo green chile.
- Overnight hiking trip to Conundrum Hot Springs.
- Dinner with Tina.
- Eat peaches and drink wine in Palisade (bike tour).
- Climb Otto’s Route to the top of Independence Monument.
- Bike Rim Rock drive in Colorado National Monument.
- Bike Grand Mesa Scenic and Historic Byway.
- Hike Longs Peak.
Things that weren’t on the list, but are list-worthy accomplishments:
- Climb trad in Eldorado Springs.
- Bike to Jamestown (and back via Lee Hill) with my brother.
- Hang out in Tabernash with old (and new) friends.
- Ride all my favorite bike routes near Boulder (Lefthand, Jamestown, Poorman, Flagstaff, Neva, Cherryvale, and Eldorado Canyon).
- Hike in Chautauqua/touch a Flatiron.
Not checked off the list:
- Climb the Flatirons.
- Hike to Hanging Lake.
- Hike in Rattlesnake Canyon.
- Fort Collins brewery tour with Jelley.
- Climb Yellow Spur in Eldorado Canyon.
- Hike to Ice Lake Basin with Dan.
- Bike South Rim Road overlooking Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park (and hike down into the canyon).
Before I sign off, I’d like to thank the many people who helped me make this one of the most memorable summers ever: Chelsea, Rachael, Dan, Michelle, Tara, Tina, Mom, Richard, Dad, Nik, Brett, Emily, Mark, Paul, Nathan and so on…you get the idea.